Guidance information for new Postgraduate International Research Students in the Graduate School of Engineering [Non-MEXT: Self-Supported Students]

1. Before coming to Japan

(1) Obtain a student visa  New students must obtain a “Student” visa before entering Japan. A Certificate of Eligibility (COE) is one of the documents required to acquire a student visa. For self-supported students, the Office of International Students helps you to acquire the COE. Please read the following website and send all necessary documents with your application documents. *If you are a JICA scholarship recipient, JICA arranges your visa. Please contact the person in charge at the JICA office.

(2) Private Scholarship Registration system  International students who would like to apply for a scholarship requiring a university recommendation must register for the private scholarship registration system during the designated registration period. Typically, there are two registration periods per year for the system: one between the end of February and early March, and one between the end of August and the beginning of September. In the event that you will not be in Japan during the registration period, registration by proxy is possible. Please be sure to check this information if interested: "

2. Procedures on Arrival

(1) Airport Pickup If you need an airport pickup, please contact your supervising professor and ask for your tutor to arrange an airport pickup. "

(2) Residence Card A landing verification stamp will be inserted in your passport and a Residence Card will be issued by the Ministry of Justice on arrival at your Japanese Port of Entry (Narita International Airport, Haneda Airport, Chubu Airport, Kansai International Airport, New Chitose Airport, Hiroshima Airport, or Fukuoka Airport). Foreign nationals aged over 16 years old must carry their Residence Card at all times; failure to do so may result in a criminal penalty. Please be sure to keep a note of your Residence Card number in case it is ever lost and you have to apply for its reissuance.

(3) Procedures at local city or ward office - Register your residence. Necessary documents: Passport, residence card : Those who receive a Residence Card on arrival in Japan must register their address at their local city or ward office within fourteen days of finding a place to settle down. -Enrol in National Health Insurance. : All those with “Student” status of residence (more than 3 months) must enrol in the National Health Insurance system. Please submit an application for the insurance system when you register yourself at your local city or ward office. Insurance premiums depend on the municipality that you are registered in. International students who pay no income tax receive very reasonable rates for their insurance premiums. As benefits of this insurance, your medical fees will be reduced by 70%. Thus, if you show your insurance card when receiving medical treatment/prescription medicines, you will only need to pay 30% of the medical fees.

(4) Entrance Procedure Pick up registration materials at the Office of International Students (OIS) and submit the necessary documents by the designated deadline. If students are not able to submit these in time, please let OIS know in advance. - Student Registration Card (with photo) - Current address in Japan - Residence card copy (front & back) (The student’s current address must be written on the back of the residence card by the ward office.) - Passport (OIS will make a copy and return the passport immediately.) - Receipt for tuition fees / admission fee /examination fees payment slip 

(5) Application for Japanese Language Class Students who wish to take Japanese language classes at the School of Engineering must register on the website (STAR)